Monday, March 23, 2009

Because we love our children


I know that most of my friends and family who read my blog have children, so I wanted to post these links that a friend of mine emailed to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRP7ynNI8mI

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3674114

They show crash tests with different kinds of car seats and positions. I was amazed to see how much of a difference it makes to keep our kids rear-facing in a car seat, even past the 1-year, 20 pounds law. Even though I think it will be so nice to have Amy facing forward so that I can see her better, I am now convinced to keep her rear-facing as long as possible. And whenever we do start forward-facing, buying a car seat with a five-point harness that fits bigger kids (up to 65 pounds) will definitely be worth it. I hadn't really thought much about how insecure booster seats are for younger children. I know you guys love your kids as much as I love mine, so please, be aware of the best choices of car seats to keep our kids safe (and alive!) :)

2 comments:

Julie and Carlos said...

What a great post Kristen! Last year I was hit going 45MPH by a HUMMER and the first thing that went through my mind as I flew across the road was "Oh my gosh is Taylor's car seat secured tight enough?" I think we had just moved it from one car to another and I wasn't sure if we had latched it in or if it was just through the belt. Either way - Taylor was fine - his seat absorbed most of the impact.
Thanks for the good tips!
Julie

Elise Smith said...

Kristen, this is great. Thanks so much for sharing. This is obviously a very important issue and I don't think a lot of people take it seriously enough.