Wednesday, November 2, 2011

For the record

A few more thoughts on homeschooling:

Just because I'm thinking about it seriously right now doesn't mean that I'll actually do it.  It's still two years away.  I'm just thinking about it, and am currently more motivated to "seize the day" with doing things with the kids.  I also feel totally overwhelmed.  I have lots of great ideas.  Actually doing them is another thing!  More often than not when it comes down to doing it I just don't feel like it, or the boys are tearing everything up, or Amy is having some kind of tantrum.  They all love it when I read to them, but it almost always turns into a battle of what book to read and who gets to sit on my lap, and then all the kids end up crying!  So I'm working on it.  Trying to do a little more each day.  I could not start truly homeschooling today.  I'm just not that good, yet.  We like watching tv, we eat processed food, and I don't do cloth diapers.  So you see, we're pretty normal.  :)  Just because I'm thinking about homeschooling doesn't make me more granola or better than other moms.  Teaching is a talent that I have and I want to open that up to my kids on a higher level than I currently am.  I want to blog about the educational things I'm doing with my kids.  Not to brag about it.  But so that I can keep myself encouraged.

One thing that makes me feel like I might be able to pull homeschooling off is that by then my boys will be three and will hopefully be much more independent and be able to join us without tearing everything up!  Plus, I'll only have to prepare lessons for two grade levels.

I've always been, and still am, skeptical of homeschoolers.  I'm sure many families do it well.  However, most of my experience with homeschoolers was as a teacher.  Families would pull their kids out of school for whatever reason and then they almost always came back a few months or a year later and their kids would be really behind.  If I find that I don't homeschool well, then I won't do it.

1 comment:

Julie and Carlos said...

I have a lot of friends who homeschool for various reasons. I think that as long as you are competent to teach from a a manual, are consistent in teaching and have willing kids, homeschooling is a fine option. Let me know what you do. I've considered homeschool for Gavin once he hits Jr. High bc right now he has an aid and I think that will stop in Jr. High... but just like you, it's 2 years away.