Sunday, August 1, 2010
Potty Training in 3 Days
There's a lot of stuff out there about how you can potty train in three days. They suggest that kids as young as 22 months will be successful. I've noticed a lot of maturity in Amy when it comes to the potty and diapers and so I decided that this might be a good time to try it. (She's 23 months.) After all, it's summer and I haven't gone back to work yet. . . so we tried it Wednesday to Friday last week. And, it worked! As the end of the third day approached I didn't think Amy would get it, but she did. However, this morning I decided to put her back in diapers! Even though she understands the basics of potty training, it caused so much undue stress for me and my sweet Amy. I never forced her to sit on the potty, and I felt like I was nurturing throughout the process, but I could tell that she felt so much anxiety about having to keep her panties dry. She could hardly sleep and seemed irritable way more than usual. She would ignore me any time I talked about the potty unless she did actually need to go. After some "mommy reflection" I realized that although she is physically capable of being potty trained it will be better to wait until she has matured more emotionally and also learned some other basic skills like being able to dress and undress herself and not sleeping in a crib. And so to Amy, I apologize for having pushed you so hard. I don't think you're damaged because of it, but I hope that I will remember and learn from this experience as we approach other milestones in your childhood. You are a very smart and sweet girl who learns well, and I will always encourage you to grow and learn and be your best, but I don't want to overdo it to the point that neither of us are happy with ourselves or each other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
hey...so that's the update, huh? Decided not to pursue it right now. I agree, that's for the best at this time. But I don't think you should feel bad at all for trying. Amy might have been a little stressed but she had a great 3 days playing with you that she wouldn't have had otherwise. Think about all that bonding time you two had! :) And hopefully it was nice to have a little break from the babies. But it is a good lesson to learn...about not pushing our kids too fast to grow up! I think you're a great mom and you have so much knowledge about what is best for little kids...your kids will always be ahead of the game thanks to you. I had a fun time and wish I could've stayed longer!
Take pride that you were able to evaluate the sitation, and how it affected Amy!!
I agree Kristin, not every kid is ready for potty training by two not can do it in three days! I honestly think that only the most mature are ready for that - usually girls. My boys 3 and 4 before they got it! I finally learned to let it take it's course and stop stressing! I bet when Amy is ready it will be a snap.
Post a Comment