Monday, March 29, 2010

I had never heard of this before!

I few posts ago I mentioned my burning, itchy skin on my belly.  I just figured this was due to the major stretch marks thanks to having twins.  Well, a few days ago I developed a rash on my arm.  I did some googling about pregnancy rashes and have come to realize that what I have is called PUPPP (Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy).  It occurs in about 1 out of 100 pregnancies and is more common in women who are expecting a boy, and even more common for women carrying twins.  It starts on the abdomen and can spread all over your body, and it's very itchy!  (I had to get a mirror to check my belly for the rash because I can't even see my belly button!)  It doesn't pose any health risks to mother or baby, besides driving mom crazy!  It usually resolves itself within a week or two of delivery.

This isn't my belly, but mine pretty much looks the same.

At this point the rash is annoying, but bearable.  However, I read about how it can become truly terrible! I've decided to act on it right away instead of waiting for it get unbearable!  It can be treated with oral steroids or steroid creams, but my doctor doesn't want to prescribe it unless it gets really bad.  He says to just take benadryl and use hydrocortisone cream, which doesn't seem to be making much difference. I've read online about a few natural remedies so I started on them today.  I drink dandelion root tea 3x/day, take burdock root pills 3x/day, and will begin using Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap 2 or 3x/day.  Hopefully this will help dry up the rash, relieve the itching, and keep it from spreading!

I've never suffered from morning sickness, so I guess I get to deal with something else instead!

3 comments:

April said...

OMG! Just looking at that belly makes mine hurt! I hope you find some relief. I have heard of this before and heard that it's very annoying. Hang in there!!!

Kristen said...

I had a friend who had that, and it almost made her not have any more children. Hers started much earlier in her pregnancy and was absolutely horrible. Hopefully you'll be able to get it under control quickly...and at least you don't have too long to go! Hang in there!!

Mary said...

I had it too!!! I thought I was just having a reaction to the ultrasound gel (I have VERY sensitive skin to begin with) from all the NSTs. And it went away after about 2 weeks after delivery. I also used the belly bands from Target after I delivered, and for some reason that fabric is the only thing that didn't make me want to scratch my skin off.