I find a site that sold diapers in packages and they had a twins package! Perfect! It contained all the diapers that twins would need from 7-30 lbs! (6 dozen infant pre-folds, 8 infant bummis whisper wraps, 5 dozen medium pre-folds, 8 medium whisper wraps, plus some disposable liners.) The whole package was a little less than $300 (around $2/diaper!) I figure that it will pay for itself in about 5-6 months. It works out great because Amy can wear the mediums now, while the twins will be wearing the infant size.
I bought the diapers in January, but had only used them on the weekends until two weeks ago when I stopped working. So far, it's going fine! I don't mind washing them (in fact, it's the easiest load of laundry to fold, because you don't even have to fold them!) My only complaint is that they're bulkier than disposables so Amy's bum is a little big! I still use disposables at night just because it's easier.
A lot of friends have been curious about how these diapers work and how you wash them, so I'll do a mini tutorial!
There are 3 parts to the diaper: the wrap (or cover), the cloth cotton pre-fold, and then the fleece liner. When I put the diaper on I just layer the 3 parts, fold (or twist) the pre-fold to make it the right length and velcro it up!
I don't bother with rinsing the poop off the diapers. I dump what falls off into the toilet, but I don't worry about the cheap liners getting stained. (I don't worry about the diapers getting a little stained either; after all, they are diapers!) I wash a load of diapers 2x/week so that they don't get too stinky. (The cloth diaper pail doesn't smell nearly as bad as the disposable one!) I do a cold water rinse to remove any solids, then add 1/2 of the recommended amount of detergent (because that's what all the info online says to do) and run a hot wash, and then do an extra cold water rinse at the end. Apparently it's important to do an extra rinse to make sure all the detergent got washed out because the detergent can leave residue on the diapers that makes them less absorbent. Throw everything in the dryer with no fabric softener because again, it leaves residue.
5 comments:
Wow, great idea! I have friend that clothes diapers and it seems like so much work to me. BUT very cost effective! Good luck with the change.
Yeah! I'm so glad you were able to get these. I have never regretted using cloth diapers. We have only bought disposable diapers two or three times in almost a year since we started cloth. :)
Good to know. I have thought about cloth diapering, but have been scared of it. Thanks for the info!
I decided to go cloth with Lincoln too. I think the world of cloth diapering is a little overwhelming, but really not so bad once you dive in and try it. I have definitely not regretted it so far! Good luck doing cloth diapers x 3..... I'll be interested to see how that goes :)
I'm impressed! Way to be brave and make the change. I'm excited to help you and see what it's like...then maybe I'll be that brave too with our next baby...whenever that is!
Post a Comment