I'm just curious, what are your thoughts about the new vaccination? Up until a few days ago I was feeling like it wasn't really necessary and that people were making way too big of a deal about Swine Flu. However, being both a teacher and pregnant have made me rethink things. In the past week I've seen my school go from one reported case to having several classes where half of the students are absent. Faculty and staff are getting it too. I could not believe how quickly the virus spread in just one short week. I know that it's predicted that it will continue to spread rampantly for another 5 weeks or so before it peaks. That's a LOT of people getting sick.
I realize that MOST of those people are not in the hospital, but they're not having a good time either. Those that I have talked to are feeling really pretty extremely miserable. There's a lot of hype out there about the vaccine, how it came out so quickly, and how can we know how reliable it is. I guess I'm taking a leap of faith. It seems that if there is a possibility of avoiding the virus and having it spread through my family then it's worth it. I would hope that our federal government has done enough research with it to know that it's safe before passing out millions of free doses to its citizens.
So anyway, we just got back from the health department where the kids and I all got our free shot. The lines were out the door, and we had to wait for quite a while, but I'm pretty sure that we won't regret it! In the mean time, we'll continue washing our hands, disinfecting, eating wholesome foods, and getting plenty of rest so that we can stay healthy!
3 comments:
I have the same concerns and thoughts. I took BG down to the health dept yesterday to get her shot. They wouldn't give me one. I was told they weren't doing pregnant women yet. How did you get one? After talking to my OB, I think the benefits outweigh the risks and I'll get one.
Congrats on your pregnancy! I hadn't heard.
Oh man...I got the swine flu about 2 weeks ago. It was HORRIBLE! I would for sure get the shot. I think once you have had it you won't get it again, so I've heard. Your daughter is so cute and getting so big!
I'm a no on the shot - I don't think the benefits outweigh the risks in our situation.. Being a teacher and being pregnant is different though. My kids have already been sick all week - I didn't have them tested to confirm which virus it was. Half Gavin's class was out too.... so whatever it was it was probably all related. But now we're all better - and our immune systems are stronger, so no regrets.
There is just a lot of flu going around, not just H1N1.
Good luck! Hopefully you don't catch a different flu!
Post a Comment