Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas Camping

Of course we squeezed in a camping trip during the winter break from school! We camped for 4 days/3 nights near Panaca, Navada and returned home just in time for Christmas. We had a great time as always!
We gave the kids the sleds that we got them for Christmas early so they could take them on the camping trip. They got a lot of use.You may think we're crazy for camping in the winter. Maybe we are, but we were nice and cozy in the camper at night. Much of our days were spent in the jeep, sledding (while Amy and I stayed in the jeep), or by a camp fire. Aaron and Jessica are crazy over Amy!
One day we came across Cathedral Gorge State Park (in NV). It was amazing! There were all these narrow gorges with tall walls and it was like a labyrinth. It was so fun to climb and explore. Of course, we were somewhat limited in our exploring with Amy so Dan and I had to take turns. We decided it's time to get a hiking backpack carrier for her so that we can tote her around with us! She was pretty tolerant of the cold weather. She seemed neither bothered, nor thrilled, just complacent.
This shows you how narrow some of the gorges were.
One day we drove by Area 51 and stopped at a small restaurant in Rachel, NV. Our kids fit right in there with the aliens. (Just kidding!) :)

1 comment:

Christine said...

I LOVE that you took your family camping in the winter... I need to tell you the info for the yurt we would cross country ski (or snow shoe) up to for work- it has a wood-burning stove, pots and pans and wooden bunks (and some mice when the nearby owl doesn't get to them). I love seeing your blog!